Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Big 10 Network at IU yesterday

I thought it was an interesting 1 1/2 hour. Not sure I agreed with everything that Dinardo and Griffith said. I get the sense that Gerry hasn't watched a ton of film on IU either. What Dinardo should have said was that IU's talent has been upgraded from when he was there. There's no question that's the case.

From reviewing the scrimmage session (as well as the individual sessions), a number of players stood out to me:

1. Greg Middleton. Frankly, he is unblockable 1 on 1. He's so much stronger than last year. Just a great player.

2. Chris Phillips. Man, he is just a good defensive back who is physical.

3. QB play. I thought both looked good. Kellen needs to start, however.

4. Richard Council. A surprising (in a good way) player. Really has made good strides. I think he starts opposite Phillips

5. Tyler Replogle. This guy has got to get on the field. He is a pure unadulterated football player. A linebacker of old.

6. The other linebackers. More speed and stronger. They have made a great impression on me. Mayberry is huge and fast. Carrington looks good. Patterson looks fantastic. Darius Johnson is going to be a nice player for us.

7. The young kids like Doss, Tyler A., Belcher and Love are going to be very, very good players. Doss is legit. How on earth people missed him I have no idea, but he can play and play now.

8. Ray Fisher. Fast, effortless and has really impressed me. I'm excited for Ray to have a huge year.

9. Nick Polk. He's bigger, faster and his tackling has improved tremendously. By the time he graduates he will be All Big 10.

10. Zack Walker. I'm very impressed with him. Did a nice job of finding seams and making good cuts and exploding. Quite an asset out of the backfield.

I need to see more of the OL. I don't think they have jelled yet, but I think they have some improving to do.

Here's a good interview with Coach Lynch after practice. Great guy, and some great shots of the stadium construction.

No comments: